Thursday, April 15, 2010

Jobless Blessings

So, I have spent the last 5 or 6 months actively looking for a second job (since my job is part-time). I have applied for everything including jobs at hospitals, administrative jobs, keeping kids, etc. The only real problem I feel like is that my priority is my youth. I can't work Sunday or Wednesdays and prefer not to work every night.

While this is often overwhelming (applications sometimes take an hour and a half to complete), it has been an amazing way to learn about new ministries in the surrounding areas. I found a word processing job that lead to me learning about Dismas Charities (Dismascharities.com) , which helps those who are about to be released from prison find a job. (Score!) Looking for jobs at the YMCA introduced me to their counseling program (did you know they had one? Only in TN!) called Restore Ministries. Today, I was looking and found several after-school care programs that focus on academics and athletic character building for underprivileged youth.

Even though the job hunt is yet unfruitful, I am not discouraged. God is working in our world and my community. There are other people serving in paid and volunteer capacities that care about our youth, our children, our military. All of these opportunities make me say "Wow!" and give me great ideas for my future ministry options and ideas. We are all in this together. We are creating a world where the church does not have to do everything (good thing since we can't) and have full responsibility for everyone. These organizations allow us and others to be Christians in different ways, outside the church walls. It reminds us that the mission of the church is not just Sunday School or construction projects, but entire systems that support "the least of these" through sustainable long-term programs.

My church may not have the resources to do homeless ministry, prison ministry, and ministry with those who have disabilities, but our hope comes in that God will raise up someone who does have resources, who can do these ministries, and who will follow the will of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment